Monday, November 17, 2008

More of Our Moon

On any given night, even when it's cold, you can find Ron snapping a photo or two of the moon. It's not the biggest object in our solar system, nor the oldest, nor the most complex. It's just relatively close and easy to see, thanks to Theia, a planet that represents the prevailing theory that so-called proto-Earth (our very early young blue marble) was struck by something huge, and broke off a chunk we now know as our lone satellite, the moon. I know I'm boring you, so here's my latest pics of that dusty, grey 4.5 billion-year-old rock, peppered with craters as seen through the brisk Decatur sky.

The moon, taken Nov. 15, 2008 at 8:15 p.m.

A little more detail of our impact-scarred moon, taken Nov. 17, 2008 at 11:09 p.m.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How the heck do you take a picture like that? Through a telescope???

Kim said...

I have the same question ...

Ron and Julia said...

Actually, I snapped this one on a recent trip to the International Space Station. (Nah, just a big lens on the front of my big DSLR camera. The moon is pretty big and bright. It's actually pretty easy to get a good shot if have a long zoom.)

Anonymous said...

Your smart. -Julia

Anonymous said...

but obviously I'm not since I can spell "you're" doi -Julia

Kim said...

No wonder you married this guy :)